The Queen Mary’s College Foundation was originally the Queen Mary’s School Foundation, which was responsible for administering the former Queen Mary’s Grammar School for Boys. The Grammar School traced its history back to a charter granted by Queen Mary in 1556 but the charity also has links to the 13th century Brotherhood or Guild of the Holy Ghost, from which its income was derived. In 1972, the school closed, and the sixth form college opened, taking the old school name. The Foundation, therefore, has close links with Queen Mary’s College, but is an entirely separate organisation.
Today, there are 10 Foundation Governors
Elected from various public organisations, who meet 4 times a year to ensure that assets are invested carefully to generate income. This income is used to support young people in their pursuit of education by the award of grants or periodic payments. Applications from individuals are considered at the meetings, and the Clerk notifies applicants of the outcome.